A dental exam is not designed for just when you are experiencing tooth pain, or you accidentally chipped a tooth. Instead, regular dental exams and cleaning are the best way to prevent those emergency appointments from cavities, gum pain or infections.
A dental exam is not designed for just when you are experiencing tooth pain, or you accidentally chipped a tooth. Instead, regular dental exams and cleaning are the best way to prevent those emergency appointments from cavities, gum pain or infections. While some emergencies certainly cannot be prevented, like a car accident, issues like tooth decay, oral cancer and root canals can all be detected and identified early and therefore treated without future problems.
The entire staff at Brechon Dental will embrace you as family. Being family owned for over two generations, we extend our compassion and caring concerns to all patients of all ages. Located at 115 W. Lincoln Ave. in Belvidere, Illinois, 61008, we enjoy serving the entire community and the surrounding areas. Simply call 815-491-8032 with any dental questions or concerns and schedule your appointment today for a dental exam and a proper cleaning.
Regular Dental Exam Expectations
During your visit with Brechon Dental, we will examine your mouth with various pieces of equipment and specialized tools. These will help us execute various dental exams of different aspects of your mouth for disease and to perform a thorough cleaning of your teeth and mouth.
- Tooth decay- we will check each tooth for weakening enamel, cracks or areas of serious plaque buildup which are signs of decay and eventual cavities or infection.
- X-rays- these images allow us to see what is going on below the surface of your teeth. X-rays will show us how dense a tooth is, how the root looks below the gum line, tumors, growths, cysts, or places of decay. Once Brechon Dental has more than one set of x-rays to compare from prior visits to current visits, we can have a more complete set of data to monitor and compare your dental health.
- Gum disease – we will look closely at your gums and the teeth near the gum line to check for any indication of periodontal disease.
- Existing restorations- we will check any fillings, crowns, or other tooth restorations for signs of serious wear and tear allowing for infection or future problems.
- Oral cancer screening- we will closely scrutinize your teeth, gums, tongue, cheeks, lips, and throat for any signs of cancer or abnormal growths to biopsy or to investigate further.
- Education- the staff will review with you the best ways to keep your mouth healthy at home, from how to brush and floss properly, to which areas of your mouth may need more attention. We can even review with you tips regarding your diet to keep your mouth healthy that include avoiding sugar, adequate water intake and foods to eat so you get the nutrients you need to keep a strong and healthy smile.
Who Needs a Dental Exam and Cleaning?
Absolutely everyone in the family, from the child with their baby teeth to the grandparents with full sets of dentures, should regularly see Brechon Dental at very minimum every six months in addition to practicing their daily at home dental cleaning routine. Not only are children as susceptible to cavities, but their baby teeth need supervision to make sure they are coming in correctly and without disease or decay. Even though your child will eventually lose their baby teeth, that first set is just as important as their later, more permanent teeth.
As for the adult members of your family, routine dental exams and cleanings are important habits to start and maintain throughout their life. As you age from a young adult to adult and then to senior citizen, your risk for oral infection increases. Additionally, as your teeth age, the enamel also ages and weakens making it easier to get a cavity. Again, at home brushing and flossing twice daily will help keep your mouth healthy, Brechon Dental will perform a more thorough cleaning and screen for more serious oral issues.
Brechon Dental has been in the family for over two generations! Our experienced dentists know best when it comes to the latest in dentistry.
We understand that emergencies can happen at any given moment. We're always available to provide you with emergency dental care when you need it the most.
We want you to have convenient access to dental care; our office accepts most major insurances!
Our new practice was designed with patient comfort in mind. Step inside our office and experience our newly renovated practice first-hand!
Additional Deep Teeth Cleaning
Sometimes, adults who brush and floss twice a day, visit Brechon Dental twice a year, and maintain healthy diets still run into problems with gum disease. At your dental exam, if we detect gum disease in one or more areas of the mouth, we may recommend a more thorough cleaning involving cleaning below the gum line with special tools. This is called a scaling and root planing, or a deep cleaning and it will remove tartar buildup, debris, and bacteria from below the gums which is the cause of the inflammation of the gum. If the gum inflammation and infection, or gingivitis, is not addressed it will lead to more serious stages of gum disease which include tooth and bone loss.
Before we perform the deep cleaning, we may suggest using a local anesthetic to help you stay comfortable and to avoid any discomfort during the procedure. After we are finished, you may need to use an antibiotic or an antibiotic mouth wash to help your mouth heal and strengthen.
Keeping Your Dental Visits to A Minimum
No one can or should avoid the dentist all together, but you can absolutely keep your visits to a minimum. Brushing at home twice a day, for two minutes each time, with a fluoride toothpaste and soft brush is a start. Flossing as a part of your twice daily routine also helps break up any food particles left behind and loosens any plaque building up between the teeth. You may also choose to rinse with a mouth wash or antibacterial rinse to help your gums stay healthy and disease free. Eating a healthy diet, drinking plenty of water and avoiding high sugar and high acid foods will help keep your visits to regular dental exams and cleanings.
Family Owned, Family Friendly
Dentistry for You in Belvidere
Brechon Dental is a family-owned dental clinic at 115 W. Lincoln Ave. in Belvidere, Illinois, 61008. Our highly compassionate staff and dentists are genuinely dedicated to your dental care and your healthy smile. When you visit us in our newly designed office, we focus on making your experience with our staff comfortable and rewarding. We wish for you to leave your visit smiling, with teeth that are healthier and brighter. From regular examinations and dental cleanings to a variety of cosmetic procedures, our goal is to provide you with only the best in dental care and treatments so that you achieve and maintain a smile you are proud of. We want you to have convenient access to dental care by accepting most major insurances and offering financing options. Call 815-491-8032 to schedule your appointment with Brechon Dental today.